Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Gaming Commitment Problem

'tis the age of ambiguous titles!

There's a condition that I feel I've been afflicted with: "Lack of Gaming Commitment". I'm realizing that I have a lot of games that I never even finish. For years I was so meticulous with my gaming, like I had to finish a game 100% to feel satisfied about it. Now it's different. I play by emotions. I'll choose a game to play depending on my feelings—what I feel like playing at a perticular moment.

That's fine for passing time, but sometimes I will no longer feel any satisfaction when playing a game. This is when I realized the problem I was having.

Just like keeping up with an exercice-regime or a diet, it's about putting your mind to it and commiting yourself to the activity (boy, do I need to do this with Maya too)...

That's why I decided to pull a game up from time to time and really go through it, wether a game I finished before or a new game. I need to put myself in a situation where I can start something and finish it. This is not only as a gamer, but as a human being too. I've been having this problem in other parts of my life too. This will help me get used to commiting myself to different things, hobbies, projects, etc.

I recently dusted off a game that will be perfect for my first Commitment Game: [Wii] Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I finished it months ago, but there's a restart-mode where you can restart the game while keeping your credits/vouchers and unlockables. I will play other games every once in a while just to pass the time, but when I feel like gaming, I will be playing Metroid Prime 3 and I will finish it!